Process Development Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2022
Ambercycle is a materials company founded in 2015 to create a circular supply chain for the apparel industry, making decarbonized raw materials across industry verticals. We're doing this by developing and deploying new technologies to increase the scope and scale of regenerated materials in the global apparel supply chain, and reduce the use of raw agricultural and petroleum resources. Our products avoid the use of new raw materials and go into the highest quality applications, exceeding the expectations of end customers with a fraction of the environmental footprint. Our success is the result of the talent, curiosity, and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to realize our vision to improve humanity’s relationship with the material world. Visit www.ambercycle.com to learn more.
Who You Might Be
You've been building things and taking them apart your whole life. You are thrilled by the prospect of constructing things and watching them work, and take great satisfaction in taking concepts into real-world solutions at massive scale, in fact you're wired to do so. You watch YouTube videos of people constructing plants, showcasing process equipment, and doing chemistry experiments. You like working with your hands and really understanding how things work in real life. Overcoming all obstacles to turn whiteboard sketches into breakthrough commercial realities is second nature to you, and you value your ability to get to the heart of an issue and advance a project.
You love efficiency but have a practical outlook on how to get things done and move a project forward. You are respected for your ability to 'make it happen', and people rally around you to turn visions into realities. You have the perfect mix of strategic, operational, analytical, and people skills. You are a clear, confident communicator who loves taking a complicated problem, deconstructing it, and finding + implementing solutions. You are a problem solver.
We’re looking for a Process Development Engineer who will play a critical role in the development of new process technologies and scale-up of new products, spanning R&D and commercial scales. You will work in collaboration with the R&D, Engineering, and Technology teams to refine existing processes, manage piloting and scale-up capabilities, and prove commercial viability of new products and processes. The ideal candidate will be driven, confident, and will do what it takes to ensure successful commercialization and scale-up of our process technology. This individual will work to ensure effective decision-making and execution of technology development and commercialization. This will include building out piloting capabilities as well as leveraging external pilots and test facilities, and interfacing with R&D, supply chain, engineering, and product teams to ensure successful development and launch.
It will also include engagement with and oversight of equipment vendors, EPC firms, technicians, and consultants. You will be responsible for the technology development, equipment selection, and continual improvement of Ambercycle processes. You will transfer laboratory experiments to full-scale commercial processes and be involved in every technical stage of the project lifecycle. You will be involved with senior leaders to optimize and commercially realize our process for the decarbonized, circular materials, as well as grow the portfolio of commercialized Ambercycle products. In this role, you will:
- Lead concept and equipment design, process modeling and design, technology/equipment selection, and provide optimization and modeling support.
- Design and build R&D scale and pilot scale engineering hardware
- Own process area models using tools such as ASPEN and other simulation software.
- Develop flowsheets and conceptual engineering ab initio
- Troubleshoot and improve processes from the lab/pilot scale to commercial scale.
- Collaborate closely with R&D, Engineering and Technology to identify and overcome process challenges and bottlenecks as well as implement new process designs and equipment.
- Link laboratory and pilot work with the development of commercial scale equipment and processes.
- Work with financial and business stakeholders to develop plant and process economic models.
- Lead process intensification exercises for streamlined process designs.
- Provide reports and track progress with internal and external teams.
- Travel to company locations and facilities for meetings, training, special projects and information gathering (domestic and international).
- Proven Process Development Engineer with a track record of success from concept to start-up in new product and process commercialization in large company and small start-up environments involving R&D, Process Technology, Scale-up and Commercialization.
- Successful experience with process plant piloting, operations, and build.
- Strong background in solids handling and chemicals/polymers manufacturing unit operations.
- Working knowledge of well-established chemical engineering simulation software.
- Ability to generate PFDs and P&IDs using a variety of tools.
- Experience working with engineering contractors on capital projects and process design.
- Track record of linking research and development activities with successful real-world implementation.
- Must have an incredible enthusiasm for scaling a first-in-kind sustainable process, a strong desire to change the world, and passion for solving difficult engineering problems.
- Must take initiative and be hungry for technical excellence and project success.
- Operational support and track record of solving difficult chemical and polymer process problems.
- Proficient in process modeling (Aspen) and equipment sizing linking testwork and pilot plant operation to real project implementation.
- Experience with techno-economic analysis, trade-of studies, and financial evaluation.
- Knowledge of process economics responsibility OPEX/CAPEX modeling.
- Strong knowledge of continuous improvement methodologies to minimize downtime and continually improve processes.
- Strong experience with generation of experimental plans, ability to work with R&D and pilot groups to validate and advance process models.
- Strong flowsheet conceptualization and development and process design skills.
- Ability to effectively operate in a fast-paced, open environment.
- Ability to travel up to 30% percent, international travel may be required.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Free Healthy Snacks & Beverages
- Lunch Provided on Fridays
Ambercycle is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Ambercycle is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Position is full-time and based onsite in Los Angeles, California ☀️ 🌊 🌴