Posted on Thursday, August 3, 2023
Ambercycle is a material science company founded in 2015 to create a fashion industry without 'waste'. We're developing and scaling a breakthrough technology to manufacture yarns and fabrics from old clothes, without a sacrifice in quality, rather than from petroleum or new agriculture resources. Our apparel products avoid the use of new raw materials and go into the highest quality applications, exceeding the expectations of end customers with a fraction of the environmental footprint. Using our technology, we are fundamentally changing the fashion industry and building the infinite textile ecosystem. For more information, visit www.ambercycle.com
Who You Might Be
You've been building things and taking them apart your whole life. You are thrilled by the prospect of constructing things and watching them work, and take great satisfaction in taking concepts into real-world solutions at massive scale, in fact you're wired to do so. You watch YouTube videos of people constructing plants, showcasing process equipment, and doing chemistry experiments. You like working with your hands and really understanding how things work in real life. Overcoming all obstacles to turn whiteboard sketches into breakthrough commercial realities is second nature to you, and you value your ability to get to the heart of an issue and advance a project.
You love efficiency but have a practical outlook on how to get things done and move a project forward. You are respected for your ability to 'make it happen', and people rally around you to turn visions into realities. You have the perfect mix of strategic, operational, analytical, and people skills. You are a clear, confident communicator who loves taking a complicated problem, deconstructing it, and finding + implementing solutions. You are a problem solver.
As Process Engineer you will be responsible for the technology development, equipment selection, and continual improvement of Ambercycle processes. You will work in collaboration with the Research and Engineering team to directly contribute to the design and operation of Ambercycle FOAK commercial plants. You will transfer laboratory experiments to full-scale commercial processes and be involved in every technical stage of the project lifecycle. You will be involved with senior Engineering staff and the CTO to optimize and commercially realize our process for the conversion of end-of-life textile materials into brand new goods, as well as grow the portfolio of commercialized Ambercycle products.
The ideal candidate will be driven, confident, and will do what it takes to ensure successful commercialization and scale-up of our process technology. This individual will work to ensure effective decision-making and execution of technology development and commercialization. This will include engagement with and oversight of equipment vendors, EPC firms, and consultants. You will report to the VP of Engineering, and will interface with Ambercycle management team as well as other key stakeholders.
- Lead concept design, equipment design, technology/equipment selection, installation, startup, and commissioning
- Participate in detailed engineering, procurement & construction, and startup/commissioning.
- Troubleshooting and process improvement at the laboratory / pilot scale as well as commercial
- Close collaboration with Ambercycle Research and Engineering team to identify and overcome process challenges and bottlenecks
- Independent activity for capital project management of $20-40MM+
- Product development and commercialization
- Process economics responsibility OPEX / CAPEX modeling
- Process improvements to minimize downtime and continually improve
- Process controls responsible
- Drive the definition (including KPIs, project plans, resource requirements) of company initiatives/projects by working closely with relevant internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Leading and participating in cross-functional teams to develop and implement new process designs and equipment
- Testwork and pilot plant design and operation
- Flowsheet conceptualization and development, process design
- Identifying and driving Research and Engineering in collaboration with fellow Scientists and Engineers to meet the short term needs of the business and address future strategies
- Linking laboratory and pilot work with the development of commercial scale equipment and processes
- Collect and manage pilot and process data
- Provide reports and track progress with internal and external teams
- Define, communicate, and manage project scopes, expectations and deliverables that support Ambercycle business goals in collaboration with internal stakeholders.
- Execute project plans for process design and technology scale-up from pilot to commercial scale.
- Responsible for leading the process safety and hazard analysis in the facility, process safety focal point, PHA/HAZOP, reactive chemicals audits and layers of protection analysis (LOPA).
- Travel to company locations and facilities for meetings, training, special projects, or information gathering will be required (domestic and international). Available to travel up to 30% pending location.
- Proven Process Engineer with a track record of success in new product and process commercialization in large company and small start up environments involving R&D, Operations, Process Technology, Supply Chain, and Product Management
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering required.
- Minimum 10 years project engineering/project management experience (from concept to start-up) in Operations and Plant Design and Commissioning
- Large-scale industrial processing experience of chemicals or polymers.
- Operational support and track record of solving difficult chemical and polymer process problems.
- Process modelling (Aspen HYSYS) and equipment sizing linking testwork and pilot plant operation to real project implementation
- Testwork and pilot plant design and operating experience
- Lead or have had a key role in multiple steps of development and scale-up of chemical or polymer processing plants from concept to commercial implementation.
- Techno-economic analysis, trade-off studies and financial evaluation.
- Proven experience with process plant design and commissioning, equipment / vendor trialing and selection
- Track record of linking of research and development activities with successful real world implementation
- Strong background in chemicals/polymers manufacturing, process technologies, quality management, solids handling, and scale-up as well as a commanding knowledge of thermodynamics.
- Familiarity with Process Controls and Automation, Continuous Improvement, Downstream Product Development, and Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs).
- Must have an incredible enthusiasm for scaling a first-in-kind sustainable process, a strong desire to change the world, and passion for solving difficult chemical engineering problems.
- Highly capable to reach a thorough understanding of a situation, finding gaps and opportunities, in order to develop and execute the right strategy to get the required results, while communicating with all levels of the organization.
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, open environment.
Ambercycle is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Ambercycle is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.