Pilot Plant Technologist
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2024
Ambercycle is a materials company founded in 2015 to create a circular supply chain for the apparel industry, making decarbonized raw materials across industry verticals. We're doing this by developing and deploying new technologies to increase the scope and scale of regenerated materials in the global apparel supply chain, and reduce the use of raw agricultural and petroleum resources. Our products avoid the use of new raw materials and go into the highest quality applications, exceeding the expectations of end customers with a fraction of the environmental footprint. Our success is the result of the talent, curiosity, and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to realize our vision to improve humanity’s relationship with the material world. Visit www.ambercycle.com to learn more.
The Ambercycle Research & Development Team develops and scales breakthrough technology to convert end-of-life textile materials into new yarns and fabrics. We use materials science to take our innovations from the laboratory all the way to commercial scale, making the circular apparel supply chain a physical reality. Our cross-functional team fosters a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The Pilot Plant Technologist is a critical part of the team, performing hands-on development of Ambercycle’s technology. You will work closely with Ambercycle’s R&D and Engineering teams to test experiments at the pilot scale and transfer findings to influence the design of our commercial scale facility. You will help develop our technology from the ground up, playing a critical role in building the foundation for commercialization of our product.
Who You Might Be
A successful candidate will be a natural problem-solver and curious individual who enjoys learning, taking on dynamic challenges, and facing obstacles with positivity.
- Contribute to and participate in planning and execution of pilot plant systems construction.
- Modify equipment/systems and associated documentation according to project needs.
- Develop and maintain procedures for safe operation of pilot plant equipment.
- Ensure all Pilot Plant (PP) documentation (including P&ID’s) is kept up to date.
- Responsible for safe and compliant waste disposal of pilot plant streams.
- Follow up on required improvements for equipment and procedures according to recommendations from safety reviews.
- Responsible for completing Pre-Startup Safety Review Requirements (PSSR’s) for all PP equipment and facilities.
- Responsible for conducting runs in PP – create batch records, data collection plans, plan runs, obtain raw materials, execute runs, and record data.
- Responsible for documenting runs in batch records.
- Follow all safety procedures and conduct all activities in a safe manner.
- Actively participate in site safety initiatives and lead safety improvements.
- 2 years’ experience building and/or operating pilot-scale manufacturing equipment (preferred).
- A thorough understanding of workplace safety and the proper use of PPE.
- Experience with pipefitting, constructing/installing equipment using Swagelok and other process systems.
- Ability to effectively maintain/modify bench scale and pilot scale process and laboratory equipment.
- High mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to consistently maintain proper laboratory operations including: laboratory notebooks, instrument maintenance, quality control and assurance, safe work practices; laboratory housekeeping and supply stocks.
- Experience operating pilot plant equipment.
- Familiarity with basic analytical test methods and equipment.
- Ability to interpret documentation of system P&ID’s.
- Able to frequently lift/push/pull/carry up to 50 lbs, and occasionally lift/push/pull/carry up to 70 lbs.
- Must have fine motor skills to manipulate hand tools and operate pilot equipment.
- Bachelor’s in mechanical engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, or other relevant degree (preferred).
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Free Healthy Snacks & Beverages
- Lunch Provided on Fridays