Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Ambercycle is a materials company founded in 2015 to create a circular supply chain for the apparel industry, making decarbonized raw materials across industry verticals. We're doing this by developing and deploying new technologies to increase the scope and scale of regenerated materials in the global apparel supply chain, and reduce the use of raw agricultural and petroleum resources. Our products avoid the use of new raw materials and go into the highest quality applications, exceeding the expectations of end customers with a fraction of the environmental footprint. Our success is the result of the talent, curiosity, and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to realize our vision to improve humanity’s relationship with the material world. Visit www.ambercycle.com to learn more.
We’re looking for a Sr. Mechanical Engineer who will play a critical role in the development and engineering of Ambercycle’s first-of-a-kind commercial plant, and future plants afterwards. You will work as part of the Engineering team to directly contribute to plant design, equipment design and selection, materials specifications, and operations and maintenance planning. You will work with internal engineering teams, external EPC firms, and vendors to create and validate design and engineering deliverables, and interface across the project to drive project mechanical design of the commercial facilities. You will make process and design improvements which can be applied to Ambercycle process facilities.
Who You Might Be
The ideal candidate will be driven, confident, and will do what it takes to ensure successful commercialization and scale-up of our process technology. This individual will work to ensure effective decision-making and execution of technology development and commercialization across internal and external project interfaces. You will be involved with senior leaders to optimize and commercially realize our process for the conversion of end-of-life materials into brand new goods, and help build the groundwork for company maintenance philosophies.
- Contribute to concept and equipment design, technology/equipment selection, and provide optimization and modeling support.
- Perform and own hands-on design of plant layouts, material flows, 3D models, and both static and rotating mechanical manufacturing equipment.
- Transfer learnings from laboratory, pilot, and demonstration experiments to full-scale commercial processes and be involved in every technical stage of the project lifecycle.
- Ensure safe, cost effective, operable equipment and systems are provided and maintained to meet business needs.
- Project manage deliverables across project teams and ensure strong communication.
- Participate in engineering phases (basic, detailed, procurement, construction, startup, and operations) of all Ambercycle commercial plants.
- Validate testing and performance of equipment with equipment vendors.
- Participate in technical bid acceptance and factory acceptance testing with vendors.
- Plan and perform tests to analyze the feasibility, design, operation, and performance of equipment.
- Audit, perform quality control, and review mechanical design of equipment, auxiliaries, and offsites/utilities.
- Periodically review equipment thermodynamic and mechanical performance.
- Travel to company locations and facilities for meetings, training, projects and information gathering (domestic and international).
- Be able to provide off-hours support of abnormal and non-routine operation.
- Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (required).
- 6+ years' experience in plant mechanical design of related industries: petrochemical, polymer, oil and gas, mining and minerals (required).
- 3+ years in capital projects execution in those industries (required).
- Proven Mechanical Engineer with a track record of success from concept to start-up in new process commercialization.
- Strong background in solids handling and chemicals/polymers static and rotating manufacturing equipment.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to drive accountability of a cross-functional team.
- Experience working with engineering contractors on capital projects and facility design.
- Track record of linking research and development activities with successful real-world implementation.
- Must have an incredible enthusiasm for scaling a first-in-kind sustainable process, a strong desire to change the world, and passion for solving difficult engineering problems.
- Ability to work with R&D and pilot groups to validate and advance process technology.
- Ability to effectively operate in a fast-paced, open environment.
- Strong leadership, influencing, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational, coordination, planning, and interface skills.
- Knowledge of industry standards and related work processes.
- Previous startup experience highly preferred.
- Owner /operator Company experience is highly preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 40% percent, including internationally.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Free Healthy Snacks & Beverages
- Lunch Provided on Fridays