Scientist II, Biomaterials
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
We are seeking a Scientist II, Biomaterials, to join Aspect’s Preclinical Research & Development team. You will design, generate and characterize biomaterials that address specific bioprinted tissue therapeutic application needs while expanding the portfolio of biomaterials used in the production of these therapeutic implants for preclinical and nonclinical testing. Working closely with our team of scientists and engineers, you will play a pivotal role in the development of material strategy solutions for bioprinted tissue therapeutics.
- Design, develop, and functionalize novel synthetic polymers and natural biomaterials that support bioprinted tissue therapeutic function, tolerance, and durability.
- Develop biomaterial strategies and formulations that enable: 1) bioprinted therapeutic cell function and immune-protection, 2) bioprinted tissue oxygenation and vascularization, and 3) biocompatible and durable integration with host tissue implant site.
- Serve as technical lead for third party search and evaluation of biomaterials sourced for manufacturing of bioprinted tissue therapeutics.
- Create and execute assays to characterize biomaterial formulations for physicochemical properties, printability, biological activity, rheology, stability, purity, and toxicity.
- Work closely with biologists and engineers to customize biomaterial formulations for specific therapeutic tissue applications needs, including cell therapies for metabolic disease.
- Liaise with our manufacturing and regulatory team to develop stage-appropriate biomaterial manufacturing processes, scalable sourcing of materials, and quality assurance measures for preclinical, nonclinical safety, and clinical studies.
- Create SOPs, deliver experimental reports, support patent applications, and present experimental results to key internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to development of project milestones, timelines, and product deliverables in collaboration with senior R&D management and tissue therapeutic program teams.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic lab notebooks.
- Become an expert user of Aspect’s microfluidic 3D bioprinting technology.
- PhD in chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, tissue engineering, or similar discipline. Minimum of 5 years directly related experience, with at least 3 years of industry experience preferred.
- You have hands-on experience in a lab doing polymer design, synthesis, functionalization, and processing for drug delivery, tissue engineering, cell therapeutic, or medical device applications. You have worked extensively with synthetic or natural biomaterials as well as hydrogels, developing strategies to characterize bioactivity and assure quality for therapeutic applications. Experience in bioink formulation for 3D bioprinting or testing of biomaterials in preclinical models or clinical applications in an industry setting is helpful.
Who You Are
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and are not afraid to ask questions.
- Problem Solver: You love immersing yourself in difficult technical problems and coming up with solutions that work. You think outside the box and use your experience and intuition to identify when such solutions are realistic.
- Detail-Oriented & Meticulously Organized: You have outstanding attention to detail and take pride in your work and strive for excellence. You can multitask, prioritize competing deadlines, and have a track record for delivering work on time.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can effectively communicate with different audiences in diverse situations.
- Time Management: You have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, collaborative, ever-changing, and supportive. We are looking for team players who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field. We offer competitive compensation packages and benefits with excellent opportunities for personal growth and career development.
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.