Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
We're seeking an Associate to join Aspect’s Biomaterials Research and Development team focused on developing life-changing, cell-based bioprinted tissue therapeutics for metabolic and endocrine diseases. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Biomaterials, you'll contribute to polymer development, formulation, and characterization of biomaterials used to manufacture bioprinted tissues for preclinical studies and clinical applications. This is an exciting opportunity for you to work closely with a multidisciplinary team of bioengineers, biomaterials experts, and cell biologists to develop groundbreaking bioprinted tissue therapeutics that have the potential to revolutionize disease treatment.
- Help develop methods and execute lab activities to synthesize, functionalize, and formulate synthetic and natural biomaterials for bioprinting and implantable applications.
- Execute experiments to characterize physicochemical, crosslinking, mechanical and biological properties of biomaterials using qualified analytical tools and following standard SOPs.
- Execute lab activities to support biomaterial R&D activities such as bioink formulation, buffer & reagent preparation, and purification of biomaterials.
- Contribute to developing biomaterial strategies for bioprinted tissue therapeutics through experimental design, literature review and data analysis in collaboration with other biomaterial and preclinical R&D team members.
- Create and manage SOPs, batch records and other documentation as required in compliance with Good Documentation Practices (GDP).
- Create experimental protocols, update experimental reports, and present experimental data to key stakeholders.
- Maintain clear and rigorous experimental records, including electronic lab notebooks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biomedical engineering, chemistry, materials science, biochemistry, or similar discipline.
- Technical Skill Set: 2+ Hands-on lab experience working with polymers and biomaterials in the field of polymer chemistry, material science or tissue engineering. Industrial experience and prior experience working on materials for clinical applications is an asset.
Who You Are
- Detail-Oriented & meticulously organized: You have outstanding attention to detail as well as experimental and process rigor. You take pride in your work and strive for excellence. You can multitask, prioritize competing deadlines and have a track record of delivering work on time
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Problem Solver: You love immersing yourself in difficult technical problems and coming up with solutions that work. You think outside the box and use your experience and intuition to identify when such solutions are realistic.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can effectively communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
- The hiring range for this role is $48,000 - $69,000, annually. Our ranges are based on market data. Offered salaries will be based on a combination of factors including, but not limited to, job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience. For candidates who exceed role requirements, we are open to exploring above-range offers. Note that base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at Aspect. Members of the Aspect team also receive equity, a comprehensive benefits package, and support for continuous learning and career progression.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.