Farm and Livestock Hand - Insect Farming
Goterra is a Canberra based Ag-Tech startup focused on designing and building modular robotic infrastructure that uses insects to manage food waste. With support from high-profile impact investors, we are scaling our business to deliver innovative waste systems to markets around the world. We are seeking passionate and motivated individuals to join our insect farming production team as Farm and Livestock Hands.
As a member of our team you will play a critical role in helping us achieve our mission to reduce food waste and create a more sustainable food system. You will be responsible for the care and management of our insect colonies, ensuring their health and productivity in a controlled and hygienic environment. You will also work with our engineering and operations teams to optimise production processes and drive continuous improvement.
If you are passionate about sustainability and looking for a rewarding and meaningful role in a company that is delivering real impact on the world, we encourage you to apply. We offer a supportive and collaborative work environment, with opportunities for growth and development as we continue to scale our business.
As a Farm and Livestock Hand on our insect farming production team, your duties will include:
- Assisting in performing insect husbandry tasks, such as feeding, watering, and monitoring insect health and growth.
- Performing organic frass and live insect separation using both mechanical and physical methods, ensuring high-quality products for our customers.
- Cleaning and maintaining production facilities and equipment, including separators, dryers, and husbandry rooms, by dusting, washing down, scrubbing, and other methods as needed.
- Maintaining personal protective equipment (PPE) and operational clothing using onsite cleaning equipment to ensure a clean and safe working environment.
- Informing management of any occurring deficiencies or needs for equipment repairs to minimise downtime and ensure efficient production.
- Assisting in stocking and maintaining supply rooms to ensure adequate inventory levels.
- Following all work health and safety regulations to ensure the safety of yourself and your team.
This position follows a 4 day on/4 day off roster and some weekend work is required.
Goterra is on a mission to make a positive impact on the world. We value individuals who share our purpose and beliefs, and are committed to working towards a sustainable future. If you are aligned with our values and mission, we encourage you to apply for our open positions.
We are seeking individuals who:
- Enjoy learning and thrive in multi-disciplinary teams, where diverse perspectives and skill sets are valued.
- Find joy in tackling complex problems and are motivated to find creative solutions.
- Are proactive in their work and take ownership of their tasks, contributing to the success of the team and company.
- Value diversity and inclusivity, and believe that every team member's voice should be heard and respected.
- Are looking for meaningful and impactful work, and want to contribute to a greater purpose.
To be successful in this position, you must meet the following role-specific requirements:
- Physical fitness to meet the demands of the role, such as lifting objects up to 10kgs and standing for the duration of the shift.
- Proficiency in digital literacy, including the ability to use a smartphone to communicate with team members and manage tasks through apps.
- While no specific qualifications are required for this role, previous experience in a farming or manufacturing environment will be highly regarded.
We understand that everyone's background and experiences are unique, and encourage applicants who may not meet every role-specific requirement but believe they would be a great fit for our team to apply. If you have any questions or concerns about the role-specific requirements, please do not hesitate to reach out to us for further clarification.
You must have unrestricted rights to live and work in this location and be able to pass a successful Proof Of Identity and Right To Work In Australia 100 Point Identification Check
Benefits of working at Goterra:
- Goterra is a leading waste management technology startup that was instrumental in developing national regulation for insect protein production - we’re leading the way in this emerging industry
- Be part of a diverse and multidisciplinary team doing exciting and ground breaking work, alongside people who believe in what they’re doing and are aligned in mission and purpose
- You'll be paid above award rates, with generous conditions including paid employer parental leave, welfare packs, leave to volunteer in your community, the opportunity to take part on our ESOP scheme, and great learning and development opportunities
- You'll have the chance to make a real impact on stopping one of the leading causes of climate change, every day. Literally, we’re doing it right now, as you read this
At Goterra, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome applications from anyone who shares our passion for our mission, and particularly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. This includes, but is not limited to, women, veterans, people with disabilities, mature-aged individuals, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the LGBTIQ+ community, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Something looks off?