If you’re a plant-loving people-person who’s got what it takes to build a brilliant working environment, then we want to meet you. But first, a bit about us…
We’re a full-scale, energy-saving, B-Corp certified, sustainably powered vertical farm. We’re on a mission to transform the farming system forever, so that everyone can afford tasty nutritious food, that doesn’t cost the earth. Literally.
In other words: we boldly grow where no one has grown before. Our state-of-the-art salad leaves are made possible by an incredible team of rocket scientists (see what we did there?), engineers, leaf whisperers, and a root network of fabulous people. Which brings us onto you…
As a Communications Manager, you will join our dynamic team and play a crucial role in developing and executing our business communications strategies. Whilst we sell our salads under our consumer brands, our business, GrowUp Farms, has an amazing story to tell, and we have a significant ambition to establish ourselves as a leading British grower and supplier of sustainable food. You will work closely with various internal departments and external stakeholders to effectively convey our company brand messages, enhance our business reputation, and foster positive relationships with key audiences.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Project Developer to join our team at GrowUp. As Project Developer, you will play a vital role in managing the development of new sites for vertical farms, overseeing the entire process from planning and permitting to land acquisition and energy contracting. You're an energetic hustler, motivator and deal maker that makes great things happen. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the growth and expansion of sustainable agriculture through innovative vertical farming technologies.
This role is based at London and you will be expected to travel between our Leaf Lab (Cambridge), Pepperness Farm (Sandwich), Finance and Impact (Edinburgh) and attend any meetings in other locations when required.
Join us at GrowUp and be part of our mission to revolutionize the future of farming. Together, we can create a more sustainable and resilient food system.
- Lead the development process for new vertical farming sites, ensuring timely and efficient execution of projects
- Coordinate with internal teams, external consultants, and stakeholders to establish project requirements, budgets, and timelines
- Conduct feasibility studies and site assessments to evaluate potential locations for vertical farms
- Collaborate with architects and engineers to design optimal layouts for vertical farm facilities
- Manage the planning and permitting process, ensuring compliance with UK regulations and guidelines
- Identify suitable land parcels for vertical farming projects, considering factors such as proximity to markets, access to utilities, and transportation logistics
- Conduct negotiations and manage agreements for land acquisition, working closely with property owners, developers, and legal representatives
- Collaborate with real estate agents and brokers to identify potential opportunities for industrial property land acquisition
- Conduct due diligence on prospective sites, including environmental assessments and land use analysis
- Evaluate energy requirements for vertical farm facilities and develop strategies to optimize energy efficiency
- Collaborate with energy suppliers and contractors to secure reliable and sustainable energy sources for vertical farms
- Negotiate and manage energy contracts, ensuring cost-effective and environmentally friendly energy solutions
- Establish and maintain relationships with local authorities, planning departments, and regulatory bodies to navigate the permitting process smoothly
- Collaborate with government agencies and industry partners to stay updated on emerging trends, regulations, and incentives related to vertical farming
- Engage with community stakeholders, local residents, and organizations to address concerns and foster positive relationships
Your areas of knowledge and expertise that matter most for this role
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g., urban planning, engineering, real estate) is preferred
- Proven experience in project development and management, specifically within the context of land acquisition, planning, and permitting processes in the UK
- Strong understanding of UK planning regulations and guidelines, with the ability to navigate complex processes efficiently
- Demonstrated experience in industrial property land acquisition and negotiations
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a keen attention to detail
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with internal teams, external stakeholders, and local authorities
- Knowledge of sustainable energy solutions and experience in energy contracting is desirable
- Passion for sustainable agriculture
What’s in it for you?
- Be part of a great business – you will be in one of the fastest growing and most exciting businesses in the vertical farming industry
- Be part of a great team – you will work with and learn from a friendly, smart, growing, and passionate team who care about each other and the business
- Grow yourself – a chance to develop yourself and make the role your own as the business and team builds, broadening your knowledge and capabilities to push you to the next level
- Share our passion for driving change for good – As a B Corp certified business sustainable production is at the heart of what we do
- £40,000 - £45,000
- Annual bonus based on company, team, and personal performance
- Employee incentivisation scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Income Protection
- Employee Health Scheme provided by Vitality at Work
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Pension (5% employer contribution)
- Employee benefits programme with Bravo Benefits
- Cycle to Work Scheme