What you’ll love about us
We endeavour to grow the best food, better.
We’re a leading UK vertical farming company who have spent almost a decade growing salads at four vertical farms, bringing customers restaurant-quality leafy greens that stay fresher for longer. Salads are just the tip of the iceberg – our future is more farms, more crops, and the technology to make vertical farming the norm.
We’re passionate about getting people to rethink their salads and delivering healthy, affordable, British-grown food to more customers with a lighter environmental footprint and a more resilient year-round supply chain. We bring purpose and impact to the fresh produce category and expect a transformational impact over the next decade as we add new crops.
We are a fast-growing, dynamic team who care passionately about what we’re doing. We’re interested in people who want to help turn food production on its head, who are naturally entrepreneurial, commercial, and restless to make it happen.
We have developed industry-leading technology integrated with renewable energy to drive down vertical farming costs and carbon footprint while cutting down on food waste in the supply chain and at home. Our recently launched fourth farm, in Sandwich, Kent, began delivering its first harvest of ready-to-eat salad leaves in February 2023 – the Fresh Leaf Co can be found on the shelves in Iceland (the retailer, not the country!), and in July 2023 – Unbeleafable launched into Tesco!
The Leaf Lab
The Leaf Lab, located just outside Cambridge, is home to our Innovative R&D activities. At the Leaf Lab, we are on a mission to constantly improve how we grow plants for existing customers alongside identifying new varieties that solve genuine customer problems. We look at all elements of the production process, from plant genetics to how we handle our products after they have been packed. We ensure we give our customers the best possible outcomes with the lowest environmental impact.
The Leaf Lab team has the following values:
Explore: Finding the world’s best plants
We believe the world's best plants are the key to unlocking a sustainable and vibrant future. We want to find the best way to grow plants that solve real-world problems, improve lives, and protect our planet.
Innovate: Leading the world in plant science
At the forefront of plant science, our team is dedicated to developing innovative solutions that harness the power of the world's most exceptional plants. Join us as we find innovative and creative ways to lead the way in sustainable agriculture, creating a brighter future for our planet and its inhabitants.
Collaborate: Changing the world through teamwork
To go fast, you go alone; to go far, you go together. To do great things, you need to work with great people and great teamwork is at the core. We value the ability to work independently rather than being a team player.
Create: Bringing to life the future of growing
We are committed to delivering innovative solutions. We take ground-breaking ideas and turn them into real-world solutions, revolutionising the future of growing.
We are looking for a skilled and detail-orientated Lab Technician to join us at our state-of-the-art R&D facility, the Leaf Lab. As a Lab Technician, you will be a crucial member of our research and development team, responsible for helping us further our understanding of crop nutrition and post-harvest analysis. We’re looking for people to join the Leaf Lab who want to be part of a team that is committed to delivering world-class innovative research and development. This is a high-ambiguity, high-change environment were good judgement, flexibility and open communication are key. We know that with our collective efforts, we can solve complex problems, and shape the future of crop production. If you're ready to take on the challenge and work towards growing the best plants better, then we want you on our team!
- Perform a variety of laboratory tests and experiments on harvested crops to assess quality, nutritional content, and potential contaminants.
- Prepare plant and root tissue and water samples for analysis, ensuring accuracy and precision in all measurements.
- Develop and refine new laboratory techniques and procedures to improve efficiency and data quality.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment, including spectrophotometers and various testing instruments.
- Follow established protocols and methodologies for sample preparation, analysis, and data recording, ensuring consistent and reliable results.
- Collaborate with the Research Associates and other team members to plan and execute experiments to investigate crop nutrient requirements and optimise fertilization strategies.
- Analyse and interpret experimental data using statistical tools and software, generating reports summarizing findings for further discussion and decision-making.
- Maintain accurate records of laboratory procedures, methodologies, and results in accordance with industry standards and company guidelines.
- Contribute to the maintenance of laboratory safety protocols, ensuring a clean and organized work environment and proper disposal of hazardous materials.
- Bachelor's degree in Agronomy, Plant Science, or related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Proven experience working in a laboratory setting, preferably in agricultural or plant-related research.
- Strong understanding of plant physiology, and nutrient interactions.
- Familiarity with laboratory equipment, techniques, and methodologies used in nutrient analysis and post-harvest analysis.
- Proficiency in data analysis software and tools, such as Excel, R, or similar programs.
- Detail-oriented mindset with excellent organizational and record-keeping skills.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills to work within a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to work independently, follow protocols, troubleshoot issues, and adapt to changing research needs.
- Commitment to safety protocols and adherence to ethical research practices.
- Must have sufficient experience and expertise to work without supervision.
- Location: Office-based at our site just outside of Cambridge, with travel occasionally to other sites as needed.
- Annual bonus based on company, team and individual performance
- Employee incentivisation scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Vitality at work health scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Employee benefits programme with Bravo Benefits
- And of course, free salad!
Our team is the most valuable part of our business – our success is defined by the hard-working, brilliant and enthusiastic people we employ. Our recruitment process and employment decisions are based on our business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, colour, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disability status. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics, and we encourage all suitable applicants to apply for open positions.