Health, Safety & Environmental Officer
If you’re a plant-loving people-person with excellent communication skills, a passion for sustainability and a knack for streamlining & refining processes, then we want to meet you. But first, a bit about us…
We’re a full-scale, energy-saving, B-Corp certified, sustainably powered vertical farm. We’re on a mission to transform the farming system forever, so that everyone can afford tasty nutritious food, that doesn’t cost the earth. Literally.
In other words: we boldly grow where no one has grown before. Our state-of-the-art salad leaves are made possible by an incredible team of rocket scientists (see what we did there?), engineers, leaf whisperers, and a root network of fabulous people. Which brings us onto you…
As the Health, Safety, and Environmental Officer, you will play a crucial role in ensuring our farm's environmental performance and safety standards align with industry best practices. You’ll spearhead the continual improvement of our farming system, improving the environment and how our amazing team of farmers safe and secure. Your primary responsibilities will involve monitoring and enhancing environmental sustainability and maintaining a safe work environment. The role is based in Sandwich, Kent on our vertical farming site, with occasional travel to our other offices in London, Cambridge & Edinburgh.
1. Environmental Performance Monitoring and Management
- Manage and maintain the farm ISO 14001 Environmental Management system.
- Monitor and assess the farm's environmental performance, including water use, energy consumption, waste generation and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Conduct regular audits and assessments to ensure compliance with environmental regulations, standards, company ethos and environmental objectives.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and make necessary updates to systems and processes.
- Develop and execute initiatives to reduce environmental impacts while maintaining farm productivity, co-ordinating with cross-functional teams.
- Develop and oversee biodiversity improvement initiatives around the farm site.
2. Health and Safety Management
- Develop and oversee health and safety protocols, including safety procedures, training, and incident reporting.
- Conduct regular safety audits to identify potential hazards ensuring a safe work environment.
- Collaborate across the business to develop and implement safety measures and best practices.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant health and safety regulations and standards.
- Act as the primary point of contact for safety-related concerns and emergencies on the farm.
3. Communication and Education
- Organising regular health, safety and environment training sessions and workshops to educate team members on procedures and best practices.
- Host non-management team ‘round tables’ to discuss health, safety, and environmental issues.
- Communicate to raise awareness of the environmental benefits of sustainable farming practices.
- Regular reporting to the Head of Farm Operations on Health and Safety and to the company Impact Director on Sustainability.
- Act as a liaison with external stakeholders and communicate our commitment to sustainability.
- Proven experience in environmental management, safety management, preferably in agriculture or a related industry.
- Knowledge of ISO 14001 Environmental Management and health and safety regulations.
- Strong project management skills with a track record of successful project implementation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- IOSH and NEBOSH qualifications required and experience with CDM 2015 preferable.
- Passion for sustainability and a strong commitment to environmental conservation and health and safety.
- Strong organisation and leadership skills to manage both aspects of the role effectively.
- Past experience with construction, manufacturing and food production sites would be beneficial.
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in sustainable agriculture.
- Work in a dynamic and collaborative environment.
- Ongoing professional development and growth opportunities.
Competitive salary and benefits package, including;
- Annual bonus based on company, team, and individual performance
- Employee incentivisation scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Income protection insurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Pension (5% employer contribution)
- Employee benefits programme with Bravo Benefits
- Cycle to work scheme
- Vitality at work health benefits
Join our team and help us lead the way in sustainable agriculture!
Our team is the most valuable part of our business – our success is defined by the hard-working, brilliant and enthusiastic people we employ. Our recruitment process and employment decisions are based on our business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, colour, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disability status. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and we encourage all suitable applicants to apply for open positions.