Compliance Senior Associate
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Hala Systems is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
The Compliance Senior Associate is an integral part of the Compliance Team reporting directly to the Senior Finance & Grants Manager. The Compliance Senior Associate will be responsible for managing grant(s), focusing on compliance with donor regulations, leading invoicing, budget tracking, periodic donor reporting and correspondence, and providing contractual guidance to the program officers. The Compliance Senior Associate will support process implementation, tool development and optimization, and the review of financial reports from partners and field teams.
This is a full-time position open for candidates based in Lisbon, Portugal, with a yearly gross salary range of 41.000€ to 51.000€.
We’ll trust you to:
- Extensive and comprehensive review of financial reports from partners and field team, including: oversee and track eligibility of expenses and supporting documentation; communicate with partners and field team regarding financial reporting and contractual compliance, and provide capacity-building support when appropriate; support forecasting; provide other support as needed, to the partner and/or field team.
- Improve and implement processes between the headquarters and the field.
- Oversee the filling system for the Ukraine project and ensure information security across all software used on the program.
- Optimize and update project management tools for Ukraine projects in order to inform the headquarters and field team on the financial health of the project, making sure that fringes and shared direct costs are within acceptable percentages.
- Manage one or several grants, focusing on financial accuracy, compliance with donor regulations, leading invoicing, budget tracking, periodic donor reporting and correspondence, and providing contractual guidance to the program officers.
- Learn the cost structure at Hala in order to be able to better support and assist in all compliance-related matters.
- Support ad-hoc requests from donors such as audits, spot-checks, realignment requests, and inventory.
- Collaborate closely with the field team, and advocate for necessary process and systems improvements as needed to promote donor compliance and effective project implementation.
- Oversee the travel process for the team in the field.
- Support medium to big procurement processes following donors’ requirements and Hala’s internal policy and procedures.
- Support the development of cost proposals for new projects for Ukraine, as needed.
Who you are:
- A multi-tasker and problem solver with a strong ability to work effectively under pressure and handle multiple efforts simultaneously.
- A curious learner who can adapt quickly and is comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- A problem-solver who will continually look for ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes.
We’d love to see:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance is a plus.
- At least 6 years of relevant work experience.
- At least 4 years of progressive financial management experience.
- Experience working for an organization that bids on and implements governmental grants and contracts or familiarity with government grant and contract regulations.
- Experience managing grants with international development programs and donor funds is strongly preferred.
- Be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Medium-level accounting skills, including management of general ledger.
- Demonstrated experience with QuickBooks or experience with other financial software.
- Demonstrated high proficiency in Excel and Google Sheets.
- Experience working cross-culturally, cross-functionally, and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English. Ukrainian is a plus.
What Hala offers you:
- Life-saving social impact.
- Competitive salaries.
- Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff takes a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2-week vacation.
- Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage on a rolling basis. You should expect a phone screen, followed by several interviews with team members and the manager for this role, concluding with the opportunity to speak with one of our co-founders.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.
See more open positions at Hala Systems
Something looks off?