Production and Supply Engineer
Job title: Production and Supply Engineer
Location: South Africa (Preferred Regions KZN and Joburg)
Please note that applications submitted via the LinkedIn platform using the click to apply function will not be reviewed. Interested candidates should send a considered CV and covering letter as instructed below.
Loowatt is a UK-headquartered innovation company with a unique waterless toilet system that enables service providers to deliver high-quality, environmentally friendly, off-grid sanitation. The patented toilet requires no water to operate but provides an experience that customers have called “on par with a flush toilet.” Toilets are serviced regularly, and waste is delivered as a resource for energy and fertiliser production. Loowatt’s software tracks and facilitates the ongoing servicing of toilets, along with positive social and environmental impacts.
Loowatt’s South African enterprise, Loowatt Pty, is scaling up customer-paid services in South Africa for urban homes beginning in Durban. Loowatt also has a significant presence in Madagascar.
Loowatt produces toilets, toilet consumables (refills), and waste processing equipment through a network of outsource and license manufacturing companies. They are currently in the process of identifying and engaging South Africa based suppliers with a focus on toilets, toilet structures (cubicles) and system consumables, as well as customer support.
We are seeking a South Africa-based engineer with production and supply chain operations capability to support activities that include successful localization of production in and for African markets. Key areas of focus will include supplier research, engagement, vetting, contract and price negotiations and ongoing supply management. This is a critical role, ensuring that internal and 3rd party production operations are maintained and developed to provide product and system delivery to customers on time, to cost and meeting or exceeding quality objectives.
Working for Loowatt
We aim to lead in solutions for contemporary urban sanitation, beginning with a great toilet experience. Everyone should have a toilet that’s safe and clean, protects water resources, supports circular economies, and most importantly, brings a bit of joy to everyday life. Everyone deserves to flush with happiness.
What brings our team together is shared passion along with deep experience in the sector. Our team has decades of combined experience in sanitation technology as well as innovative service models enabling expansion.
We are seeking a highly motivated, positive, enthusiastic, and solutions-driven Production and Supply Chain Engineer to support engineering, product development, and manufacturing localisation in South Africa.
The position is based in our Durban office, though appropriate candidates from KZN and Joburg regions will be assessed as the role allows for remote work and requires local travel.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Owning and optimising supplier relationships, contracts, supply chain operations to meet business objectives. Working in partnership with a broad and international supplier network, to achieve overall cost, time, volume and quality objectives
- Leading the accurate measurement and reporting of product and system Costs of Goods sold and taking a rounded approach to its cost reduction across product range
- Ongoing review, maintenance and optimization of Bill of Materials
- Collaborative activity to deliver value through engineering for manufacture activities including part reduction, re-engineering and alternate supply to minimize cost without compromising performance
- Supporting the design and improvement of jigs and methods for assembly of hardware and system consumables
- Providing technical support and assistance to customers remotely and on-site
- Collaboratively develop standardized test procedures to validate new parts and maintain the quality of existing supply chains
- Supporting the development and implementation of a commercially astute after sales programmes
Skills required for the role
- Recognised national or international technical qualification in a relevant discipline equivalent to Bachelors Degree level or higher, or sufficient on-the-job/applied evidence and references to convince that equivalent capability is available
- Demonstrable capability to conduct production engineering activities. Including to test, validate and improve new and existing electro-mechanical product assemblies, composed of multiple interdependent components and sub-assemblies; and their assembly methods and processes through manufacturing
- Demonstrable capability in supply chain and operations management. Including research and validation of capability, supplier selection and contract negotiation, relationship and operational performance management
- Demonstrable capability to fully document and maintain specifications, drawings and other data that define a product or system, its function, performance and manufacture
- Project management, analysis and communications capabilities that enables you to successfully manage your projects and tasks to time, cost and quality objectives. Which is also clear, concise and shared openly with the business team to report and manage progress
- Proven self-starter who thrives on driving their work forward
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively at all levels within the business
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to work through problems logically
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
- Proficient with 2D and 3D CAD systems to create, modify and output data to appropriate ISO standards and for 3rd party use (eg. 3D Rapid Prototyping, tool & part & jig & fixture manufacture, image rendering etc)
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 Quality Management systems, their use and value within a product engineering environment
- Practical design and engineering workshop skills of suitable proficiency to make working prototypes, create product testing equipment, assemble and modify existing products and systems
- Sanitation engineering, toilet design and engineering, waste water engineering
- Domestic appliance product design and engineering
- Design for circularity and sustainability. Knowledge of best practice for design, measurement and management.
- Polymer formulation, film blowing, and packaging production
What we offer
Beyond offering a key role in a dynamic and growing, impactful enterprise, we offer a competitive salary, while our work environment makes positive social and environmental impacts part of your everyday work.
How to apply
Send your CV and Covering Letter by email to email@example.com, with Production & Supply Chain Engineer in the subject heading.
Shortlisted candidates would be expected to undertake three assessments:
- Initial interview with the line manager,
- A practical assessment to determine key skills (same day as the interview), and
- A meeting with key members of Loowatt providing you the space to learn more about the business
Deadline for submitting applications is 16 February 2024
Please note that applications submitted via the LinkedIn platform using the click to apply function will not be reviewed. Interested candidates should send a considered CV and covering letter as instructed above.