Construction Project Engineer
Emeryville, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from real animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. In doing so, the company aims to address some of the most pressing environmental, animal welfare, and public health challenges, while still giving people the meat they love.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck) and to sell a cultivated meat product in the United States. The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood.
UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech and World Changing Ideas Awards, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
About this job
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last few years, and the momentum continues! Significant construction activities are ongoing at our Rubicon plant site located in Glenview, IL. The plant build out is expected to continue for the next few years with phased development. The Construction Project Engineer is an exciting, fast-paced role in which you will work together with EPC Construction Manager and will align with ongoing production activities at the site. You will play a pivotal role in overseeing the successful execution of Rubicon. You will be responsible for EPC, GC and subcontractors translating architectural plans into tangible structures and will meticulously align all construction activities with ongoing production activities at the site. This includes developing comprehensive project schedules, managing budgets, and negotiating contracts with suppliers and contractors. Their duty extends to ensuring adherence to quality and safety standards, conducting regular site inspections, and addressing any unforeseen challenges that may arise during the construction process. With a keen eye on project timelines and costs, you’ll navigate the complexities of construction projects to deliver a high-quality, timely, and within-budget new build that aligns with the company's goals and standards.
- Project Planning and Coordination:
- Develop and implement comprehensive project plans, including timelines, budgets, and resource allocation.
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders, architects, engineers, and contractors to ensure project goals are met.
- Communicate project progress, challenges, and resolutions effectively to key stakeholders.
- Provide regular updates to senior management on project status and milestones.
- Risk Management:
- Identify potential risks and develop mitigation strategies.
- Proactively address issues to prevent delays and cost overruns.
- Budget Management:
- Prepare and manage project budgets, ensuring cost-effective use of resources.
- Regularly monitor expenses and provide accurate financial reports to senior management.
- Contract Negotiation and Management:
- Negotiate contracts with construction vendors and suppliers.
- Oversee the performance of contractors and subcontractors, ensuring adherence to project specifications and timelines.
- Quality Control:
- Implement and enforce quality control standards to meet industry and company regulations.
- Conduct regular inspections to ensure construction work meets established standards.
- Safety Compliance:
- Implement and enforce safety policies and procedures on the construction site.
- Collaborate with the Health and Safety team to ensure a safe working environment.
- Constructability Reviews:
- Conduct thorough constructability reviews of project plans and specifications.
- Identify potential challenges and provide proactive solutions to enhance project feasibility.
- Clash Detection:
- Employ clash detection tools and methodologies to identify and rectify clashes in construction models.
- Collaborate with design and engineering teams to refine models and eliminate conflicts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or 8+ years in a related field.
- Proven experience as a Construction Manager, preferably in cGMP Manufacturing Plants/Projects.
- Strong Facilities background is a huge plus.
- Strong knowledge of construction processes, materials, and safety standards.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Effective communication and leadership abilities.
Who you’ll work with
- This role will partner with every function in the company! It’s a rare opportunity to learn about all parts of the business and industry.
- While we expect growth in all functions in the next 1-2 years, this role will most frequently interact with our Project Management, Facilities, Procurement, Manufacturing Operations, FSQA, EPC Partner, General Contractor and its Subcontractors.
Key Contributions in First Year
- Ensure on-time completion of early Phase and late Phase construction activities as Owner CM, including various facility buildout and equipment installation.
- Construction cost and schedule management in alignment with EPC Construction Manager
- Detail plan and readiness for the next phase site build-out activities. There will be ongoing production while phased expansion is occurring in the adjacent spaces.
- Drive mechanical completion for all systems. Support site commissioning and qualification activities.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.