Principal Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineer
Job Title: Principal Mechanical/ Mechatronics Engineer
Location: Centred around London, various UK sites, international opportunities, flexible trust based work policy.
Salary: £74 - 90k PA depending on experience
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
- + Employee Share Option Scheme
- + Above industry standard holiday (30 days vs 22-25)
- + Close office over Xmas where possible
- + £500 personal development grant every year
- + Fully funded training and professional development opportunities
- + Unlimited mental health support
- + 3 months of equal Paternity or Maternity leave
- + Monthly rewilding donation on your behalf
- + Cycle to Work scheme
About Mission Zero Technologies:
MZT is a hardware technology start-up pioneering a breakthrough Direct Air carbon Capture (DAC) technology that can scrub CO2 from the air using a fraction of the energy compared to incumbent technologies developed by the likes of Carbon Engineering and Climeworks. In the past three years, MZT has evolved its technology from concept to pilot plant scale, successfully raising over £8m from a mixture of private and government funding. MZT’s technology is a hybrid of approaches, combining efficient solution-phase capture of CO2 with a continuous and compact electrochemical separation technology.
Mission Zero’s work is guided by our principles of bold curiosity, problem solving acumen and hope for the future. We strive to realise a world where humanity has new tools to fight climate change, permanently remove CO2 from the atmosphere and produce everyday products such as concrete blocks or fuels from atmospheric carbon emissions. To do this we need to realise a decentralised Gigaton supply chain for CO2 sourced directly from the atmosphere.
You have the opportunity to join MZT at a pivotal point in our company's history - our transition from an early-stage R&D startup into a product offering, revenue-generating company poised to rapidly scale our direct-air capture technology across the world.
MZT is hiring a Principal Mechanical / Mechatronics Engineer, with skills focused on design and delivery of novel machines or system through all stages of the product life cycle - ideally ina chemical industry context.
In this role you will finalise design and deliver our first technology deployments at industrial scale. Inheriting MZT product modules designed and built by our historically process engineering focused delivery team and our engineering partners, you will ensure the effective deployment, hook-up and interfacing with host sites.
You will be a key member of the Delivery team, shepherding the product definition through final electro-mechanical detailed design toward site deployment at scales of 250 teCO2/year capacity at our Norfolk site up to 5,000 teCO2/year and beyond over the coming years. This will require you to apply experience in product delivery while interfacing with multiple stakeholders internally and externally.
The role will be centred around our headquarters in East-Central London, but with periodic day/week assignments to our various emerging UK sites, European suppliers and further international sites in the medium to long term as we expand the business globally.
Our vision for our early stage employees is that they own the business with us (literally), grow it with us and become part of the collective story of Mission Zero, taking a catalytic role in its early history and the fight against climate change.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Leading, guiding, reviewing and developing safe electro-mechanical designs internally and with external contractors across numerous MZT projects from 50 te/year research units to 5,000 te/year scale up projects and beyond.
- Specification, delegation, delivery and review of all required mechanical, electrical, and relevant interdisciplinary design deliverables.
- Interfacing with all key external vendors for mechanical and electrical packages, especially fabricators and site hosts.
- Supporting project management team in technical delivery of detailed plant design and analysis for pilot and commercial systems, especially in respect of mechanical and electrical requirements including packaging philosophy and in the interfaces between contractor team engineering disciplines.
- Applying fundamental engineering knowledge to ensure suitable vendor boundaries are defined with the opportunity to optimise plant and product performance as MZT scales rapidly in the DAC space.
- Working closely at the mechanical-electrical-control interface, developing, broadening and consolidating control engineering capacity across the company.
- Expert understanding of EC&I scopes of work including FDS, control panel specification, software programming interfaces, proven record interfacing, practising or leading EC&I engineering.
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- 10 years minimum industrial experience delivering projects with significant mechanical and electrical design content across multiple industries.
- MEng Engineering Degree with Mechanical and/or Electrical focus or suitable discipline.
- Experience and understanding of the full machine/product development cycle (Conceptualisation, design, delivery/commissioning and decommissioning),
- Ability to use 3D CAD Modelling Software with a PLM system, (SOLIDWORKS & 3DEXPERIENCE preferred)
- A passion for developing technical solutions for the world's greatest challenges.
- Evidenced strong practical skills, comfortable with both hands-on work and desk-based tasks. Comfortable working with ambiguity.
- Expert understanding of mechanical packaging philosophy and procurement.
- Ability to design and critically evaluate GAs (General Arrangement Drawings), 3D models, P&IDs for vendor scope splits on paper and live plant scales especially from electrical and mechanical perspective.
- Good understanding of hazard and risk identification especially relating to e.g. PUWER, Machinery Directive, CE / UKCA marking.
- Appreciation of good design for minimal maintenance approaches.
- Experience in HAZID, HAZOP, SIL, LOPA & FMEA.
- Demonstrated understanding of hazard and risk identification especially from control & electrical rating perspective.
- Breadth of exposure to process unit operations and mechanical packaged systems extending to MV electrical installations and transformer packages
- Mechanical / electrical inter-discipline specialism in undergraduate / postgraduate studies.
- >15 years experience in relevant industries.
- Chartered engineering status with IMechE, IEEE, IET or equivalent.
- Deep understanding of materials in the context of chemical and weathering resistance.
- Demonstrated experience working with electrodialysis / electrolytic processes and/or absorption, scrubbing, continuous gas-liquid systems, compression, liquefaction.
- Experience designing, running and supporting research scale, pilots and/or commercial plants.
- Experience with engineering supply chain management.
- Basic understanding of fundamental electrochemistry principles and background industrial chemistry knowledge.
- Familiarity with processes handling CO2.
- Formal training / qualifications in e.g. machine safety / CMSE.