At Prime Roots, we want to celebrate the culture of meat. we love eating it, but for the sake of the planet, know there has to be a better way. In a peak life stage of experimentation – their journey through UC Berkeley – founders Kim and Josh were well aware of our climate crisis, but felt completely powerless against the enormous industries that supported it. Eventually, they realized the one thing they could control: the meat they ate every day.
After determining what makes meat, meat (the familiar texture and rich umami), Kim and Josh found a foundation in koji. From that moment, they dreamed of walking into the grocery store and seeing an entire deli case filled with Koji Meats.
We are looking for a detail-oriented Purchasing Associate to join our team and work cross-functionally across our organization to produce world-class products. You will own and manage our supplier relationships, ingredient sourcing, and intake processes in this role. This position will lead the development and execution of supply strategies to create the best results for the business – ultimately leading to operational excellence. This role reports in person at our Berkeley HQ.
What you'll do:
- Ensure that proper supplies, ingredients, and raw materials are on-hand for production needs and future forecasts.
- Assist in the supplier management program: work with departments to set up specifications with food safety and quality requirements, communicate with the supplier to obtain the required documentation, evaluate and maintain documents and assist in populating a supplier scorecard.
- Maintain supplier relationships, contracts, and agreements.
- Collaborate with the R&D, and Manufaturingteams to ensure that all suppliers meet our products' functional, staff safety, food safety and quality standards.
- Maintain sourcing and negotiation process for all raw and packaging materials.
- Monitor and maintain contract compliance, change orders, and commitments.
- Ensure trade compliance for our internationally sourced materials.
- Assist in cross-functional supplier selection activities through RFP and RFQ processes.
- Provide compelling category and sourcing insights to the business to contribute to overall strategies.
- Work cross-functionally with the production team to ensure timely delivery of inventory.
- Track and maintain appropriate inventory levels by ensuring ERP numbers are accurate and updated regularly; for both raw and finished materials.
- Drive continuous improvement in supply chain infrastructure, efficiency, and continuity.
- Assist with production planning.
Who you are:
- At a minimum, you have at least 2-4 years experience in Supply Chain, purchasing, inventory management, or a related role. (3+ years experience preferred!).
- You have Professional certifications and formal training programs a plus.
- Ideally, you come from food production or manufacturing background.
- You have demonstrated experience working within an ERP system. (bonus points if you’ve assisted in implementing an ERP system!).
- You’re no stranger to data and spreadsheets and can organize information in excel like a pro.
- You are adaptable and excited about working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You’re a creative researcher and problem solver – you know how to find the right items at the best prices.
- You’re a stellar written and verbal communicator and feel comfortable working with different teams and individuals across an organization.
Perks of working with us:
- Opportunity to work in a fast-growing startup with an innovative team.
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities.
- Collaborative working environment.
- Great benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k).
- Food, of course.
Something looks off?