At Prime Roots, we want to celebrate the culture of meat. we love eating it, but for the sake of the planet, know there has to be a better way. In a peak life stage of experimentation – their journey through UC Berkeley – founders Kim and Josh were well aware of our climate crisis, but felt completely powerless against the enormous industries that supported it. Eventually, they realized the one thing they could control: the meat they ate every day.
Prime Roots is seeking a skilled Food and/or Beverage Production Operator and Operator Assistant to help us scale up our manufacturing operations, as well as participate in the research and development of innovative, delicious, and sustainable foods. You will have the opportunity to be at the forefront of sustainable and delicious food innovation and be amongst a team of hardworking do-ers. You will oversee downstream processing and assist meaningfully with the scaleup of our fermentation-based platform.
What you’ll do:
- Daily operation of protein processing equipment at the direction of the Operations team and occasionally run experiments to test different process parameters at the direction of the R&D team.
- Assist in setup and test of pilot-scale process equipment.
- Daily CIP (clean in place) of processing equipment.
- Quality assurance and quality control of protein products.
- Work with our team of food scientists and fermentation scientists to refine end products.
- Ensuring a clean, sanitary work environment to uphold food safety standards.
- Monitoring all process parameters and keeping records to aid process improvements.
- Complete other brewing and protein processing duties as assigned
- High School Diploma, Bachelor's degree or higher preferred.
- 1-2 years experience working with Brewing, Winery, or Dairy processing equipment (mixing tanks, pumps, mills, separators, centrifuges, etc.) required.
- Experienced in operating processing machinery including tanks, pumps, separators, centrifuges, centrifugal separators, and other industrial equipment.
- Previous experience working in a fermentation, brewing, winery, or dairy processing environment a plus.
- Familiarity with machinery and in setting up and troubleshooting.
- Experience independently running CIP cycles in a food or beverage environment
- Training on chemical titration and chemical safety, CIP, ATP validation, and general Food Processing Sanitation rules and regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to lift at least 50lbs.
- Opportunity to work in a fast-growing innovative food startup
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- FSA, DCFSA, HSA, and Commuter Benefits Accounts
- Snacks, coffee, and tea to keep you fueled and energized at work
- Weekly company-sponsored lunches
- Loads of better-for-the-planet foods to try
Prime Roots is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusiveness. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Prime Roots
Prime Roots is on a mission to change the world by reimagining protein. Prime Roots’ foundational ingredient is koji: which has the potential to replicate the taste and texture of nearly any meat or seafood through a simple fermentation. The work of the team has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Fast Company, and Food & Wine. Prime Roots is headquartered in Berkeley, CA, and backed by the same investors behind Blue Bottle Coffee and Sweetgreen.