Chief Financial Officer
Who are we?
Svante is a rapidly growing climate technology company making commercial-scale carbon capture and removal a reality and enabling global industries to play offense in the fight against climate change by reversing the flow of carbon. As a growth-focused company, we want to ensure that all elements of our business are ready and able to support our scaling, including our financial reporting, capital markets engagement and corporate services functions.
Who are you?
As a Chief Financial Officer, you bring a world-class background in strategic finance and the capital markets to complement Svante’s senior executive team. You will leverage your deep expertise in public and private company financial reporting (both US and Canadian), treasury, tax and internal controls as well as an established network and reputation to ensure Svante is ready to be the global leader in the carbon capture and removal industry. The CFO will lead efforts to manage shareholders to maintain a successful business relationship with existing investors and to secure future funding (private and/or public).
The CFO will oversee, support and develop senior leaders who have built a team of ~15 seasoned professionals with the mission to guide and develop this team through the Company’s commercialization phase. The right individual will achieve a balance between a robust, well-controlled environment and a fast-paced dynamic business and market context, while ensuring the team achieves excellence in internal controls and financial reporting and prepares the tax and treasury functions for rapid global growth. The CFO will ensure the adoption and implementation of new digital business technologies to create a connected finance organization that can produce real-time insights to inform key business decisions and drive enterprise value. Under certain circumstances, there may be flexibility to consider a contract or fractional arrangement with respect to this role for an initial period.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to the CEO and C-suite leaders in making key business decisions.
- Actively engage with the Company’s board of directors and key shareholders to ensure accurate and effective communication
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with capital markets, institutional investors, and other financial partners including lenders, auditors and advisory service providers.
- Develop and execute financial strategies to support the company's growth, profitability, and long-term goals.
- Oversee the company's accounting, treasury, tax, and financial reporting functions, including oversight of annual year-end audits and meetings with external auditors
- Identify and mitigate financial risks, while optimizing the company's capital structure.
- Oversee the company's strategic planning, FP&A, and budgeting, forecasting, and performance reporting, and ensure the delivery of high-quality annual budgets and multi-year financial forecasts to the board of directors which achieve organizational objectives and optimize financial resources
- Ensure best-in-class risk management, compliance, financial controls and processes, including development towards eventual Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to the corporate services leadership team
- Support team as a subject matter expert in complex accounting matters (IFRS and US GAAP), valuation, corporate finance, tax and treasury topics
- Drive continuous improvement in financial systems, processes, and team capabilities.
- Represent the company in financial matters with external stakeholders, including investors, lenders, regulators, and auditors.
- Act as a cultural leader within senior management team, operating by Svante’s Core Values and making decisions that attract and develop world class talent
- Serve as a key member of the executive team, contributing to overall company strategy and direction.
Competencies required (knowledge, skills and abilities):
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate, motivate and inspire team members and “soft skills” of effective communication, conflict management and negotiation
- A minimum of 20 years of experience in finance leadership roles, with a proven track record in investment banking, capital markets, or public company auditing.
- Experience as either a CFO or senior finance leader of a public or large private company, or senior investment banker with strong relationships in the capital markets and institutional investor space.
- Deep understanding of financial markets, accounting principles, and regulatory compliance requirements, including both IFRS and US GAAP.
- Background in project finance or structured finance in the energy and industrial sectors an asset
- Demonstrated success in achieving Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and maintaining robust financial controls.
- Experience in investor relations with exceptional communication and presentation skills in marketing a company to institutional investors.
- Collaborative leadership style, with the ability to build strong relationships across the organization and with external partners.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline and an accounting designation (CPA), MBA or advanced finance certification (CFA).
- Strong strategic and analytical skills, with the ability to drive financial performance and make data-driven decisions (while understanding when data can be misleading)
- Big picture thinking is needed, with a client-focused attitude and capability to interact with C-level management;
- Creative mindset that enables to come up with innovative solutions to capital structure and budgeting limitations;
- Honesty and integrity and amazing coach and counselor for the leadership team;
- Ability to manage time effectively;
- Ability to work with people of varied technical backgrounds and at all management levels;
- Ability to read and understand contracts;
- Ability to travel frequently for face-to-face meetings with investors and shareholders across North America and Globally;
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Svante is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This Equal Employment Opportunity policy applies to all practices relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, discipline, transfer, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. All Svante employees share in the responsibility for assuring that, by our personal actions, the policies are effective. Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.