Who are we?
Svante is a rapidly growing clean energy technology company making commercial-scale carbon capture and removal a reality and enabling global industries to play offense in the fight against climate change that will accelerate the global transition to a lower-carbon economy. The growing success of our company is owed to our commitment to our people, emphasis on our values, and our innovative technology. Passion is put into what we do every day.
Svante is seeking a Characterization Specialist with a high level of expertise in materials and characterization techniques to join the R&D team in Burnaby (near Vancouver), BC, Canada.
Who are you?
As the Characterization Specialist, you will participate in our current characterization efforts by conducting laboratory experiments (sample purification, extraction, other treatments), operating lab instruments (gas sorption analyzers, TGA-DSC, DMA, XRD, etc.), data analysis and report preparation. You will also participate in the design, upgrade/build of test apparatuses based on material characterization testing requirements for accelerated degradation, in-situ testing, etc.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- You have 2-4 years of working experience in academic /industry labs in heterogeneous catalysis/sorption.
- You have excellent knowledge of materials science, porous materials, polymers, metal-organic frameworks.
- You have hands-on experience with wet chemistry and sample preparation.
- you have practical experience with a wide variety of scientific equipment (TGA, DSC, DVS, XRD, SEM, EDS, PSD, GC/MS, FTIR, Sorption units. Solid/Liquid NMR, etc.), including data analysis.
- You have good knowledge of electrical and mechanical design pertaining to scientific equipment.
- You have a excellent knowledge of preventative maintenance techniques for chemical, electronic, and mechanical systems.
- You have excellent knowledge of WCB and WHMIS safety guidelines.
- You have excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- You are available to work flexible hours, including evenings and/or weekends about once per month.
What success looks like in this role:
- You will play a key role in gathering knowledge and developing innovative characterization techniques for sorbent screening/qualification relevant to Svante’s carbon capture technology and manufacturing methods.
- You will characterize materials using lab equipment, e.g., XRD, SEM, FTIR, physisorption, PSD, TGA, DSC, breakthrough unit, mass spectrometer, etc., and perform scientific data analysis and interpretation.
- You will create complete study plans and perform necessary experiments such as accelerated ageing to investigate degradation mechanisms of various sorbents.
- You will participate in method development & optimization and experimental uncertainty analysis.
- You will support other research, product development, prototyping and manufacturing, teams as required.
- You will prepare documents such as technical reports, SOPs, presentations, publications, and patents.
- You will follow standardized testing procedures (ISO, ASTM, etc.) and also design and implement non-standard testing as required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Svante is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This Equal Employment Opportunity policy applies to all practices relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, discipline, transfer, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. All Svante employees share in the responsibility for assuring that, by our personal actions, the policies are effective. Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.