This position is based out of Vancouver, BC and will report to the Senior Scientist, Green Chemistry R&D. The Formulation Chemist will develop agricultural formulations utilizing Terramera’s Formulation Solution Platform for the delivery of biopesticides intended to control a variety of pests and to promote plant health. The position requires an experienced individual with a strong background in agrochemical formulations and natural product chemistry. Working closely with R&D analytical chemists, biologists and plant growth team, the Formulation Chemist will create and optimize novel agricultural products and provide technical expertise and advice to cross-functional departments.
- Develop various agrochemical formulations for applications in crop protection and optimize them based on feedback from screening, in-house studies, and field biology trials.
- Develop and implement Terramera’s Formulation Solution Platform consistent with approved business cases for given active ingredients and product concepts.
- Formulate a range of biopesticide actives and inert ingredients and conduct physico-chemical characterization and stability studies
- Take ownership of assigned product development projects with minimum supervision and play a central role in conceiving, planning, designing, and conducting research and development activities
- Liaise closely with other stakeholders, including in-vitro, in-planta, plant growth operations, supply chain, IP, and regulatory, to understand business needs and determine the best formulation development path forward to meet those needs
- Keep current with emerging formulation and delivery technologies, as well as global standard test methods and practices for formulations;
- Collaborate with and support Terramera’s in-silico team in their effort to develop various ML predictive and/or computational chemistry models for use in formulation development
- Clearly document research results and communicate progress to internal and external stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc with 3-5 years of ag formulations experience; or BSc with 5-8 years of ag formulations experience.
- Experience in formulating biopesticides or biological materials is highly desired.
- Experience in encapsulation technology is highly desired.
- Proficient in formulation screening and optimization using systematic methodologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to convey specialized technical knowledge to non-experts.
- Familiar with analytical chemistry techniques (GC, HPLC) and biological efficacy and phytotoxicity testing
- Demonstrated capability for cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Familiarity with in-field grower applications and common issues in agrochemical product delivery in the field is an asset.
- Ability to work towards project goals and timelines with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Based on-site in Vancouver, B.C. Hybrid working is encouraged to maximize both project support and work-life balance.
- Full time, Permanent
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Terramera is a safe, inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. We strongly encourage you to apply if you are from a marginalized or underrepresented group.