Analytical Chemistry Team Lead
Terviva partners with farmers and communities around the world to harvest and grow pongamia, a regenerative, permanent tree crop historically used in Asia for reforestation. Dubbed a “super tree,” pongamia requires minimal water input and naturally resists pests due to its innate bitter compounds. After more than a decade of innovation, Terviva has discovered a way to remove these bitter compounds and transform pongamia beans into nutritious and sustainable food ingredients called Ponova®.
As part of a scientifically diverse Technology team, we are looking for a senior scientific professional to lead our analytical chemistry program in Alameda, CA.
Highly qualified candidates will have experience managing internal laboratory analytics ranging from method development and validation, compound discovery, identification/quantification, product development (e.g., formulation) and data management. In addition, deep experience in managing contract research programs with outside vendors is essential. The analytical chemistry team conducts primary research, assay development and validation, and manages analytical services across multiple geographies and product platforms (fuel, feed, food and bioactives).
Candidates must be able to assess technical/scientific challenges, formulate a hypothesis, direct necessary lab work flows internally and externally, synthesize findings and data, and generate conclusions and recommendations for research and commercial purposes.
Periodic travel may be required for site visits within Terviva project locations and with contract partners and Terviva manufacturing locations in the US and internationally, especially India.
- Build and lead a team of analytical chemists responsible for routine and investigative analysis of pongamia beans, oils, and derivative products.
- Coordinate and assemble data from multiple vendors to support product categories.
- Facilitate translation of analytical methods from bench scale to manufacturing sites and third-party vendors.
- Develop and maintain analytical methods for the analysis of materials supporting R&D activities, quality assurance, and manufacturing.
- Design and execute experiments to understand the chemical composition and functional properties of ingredients and products.
- Develop and implement standards for data analysis and reporting, ensuring accuracy and precision of results.
- Manage and maintain laboratory instrumentation and equipment, ensuring they are accurate and fully operational.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, including R&D, operations, and quality, to ensure timely delivery of analytical data.
- Provide technical leadership and expertise, acting as a subject matter expert in analytical chemistry for the company.
- Authorization to work in the United States without Visa support.
- Master’s/PhD in analytical chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry, or related sciences with 10+ years experience as a lab director or senior manager at a contract research analytical chemistry laboratory.
- High level of expertise in HPLC/UV, LC-MS, GC-MS, GC-FID, MALDI-TOF-MS, NIR, and high throughput analytics.
- Experience developing and validating analytical methods supporting product development and QA/QC in manufacturing operations.
- Experience managing technology transfer to third party analytical labs.
- Experience managing laboratory operations (organizing workflows, budgeting, procurement, vendor support).
- Ability to manage and mentor junior scientists in a dynamic team environment.
- Experience in natural plant product characterization (e.g. carotenoids, polyphenolics, flavonoids, sterols, plant growth regulators, etc.), and fatty acid identification and quantification.
- Familiarity with protein characterization, especially of seed proteins and supporting experience in enzymology, AA sequencing, SDS-PAGE, structure-function analysis, immunochemistry, and bioinformatics.
- Experience with ELN/LIM systems and/or working in a quality assurance or GLP environment will be viewed positively.
- Competitive annual salary range $128,500 - $156,000, plus annual bonus, commensurate with role and experience.
- Terviva Stock options also commensurate with role and experience.
- Medical and dental, vision and life insurance (employee premium fully paid by Terviva).
- 4 weeks paid time off annually.
- Cell Phone stipend.
- Parental leave.
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs.
- Retirement 401(k).
Terviva is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status and sexual orientation or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Our leadership team is dedicated to this policy and all employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.