Senior Process Engineer
Watertown, MA, USA
Posted on Sunday, April 2, 2023
Via Separations is a rapidly growing Boston-area startup dedicated to eliminating CO2 emissions from industrial manufacturing processes. At the intersection of engineering, society, and impact, our team is passionate about making a difference and building the technology and organization to do it. We are a fast-paced, interdisciplinary team backed by leading venture capital firms. Our team has tripled in size in the last year, and we are looking to add talented, mission-driven people to our cohort.
We are passionate about global climate impact, optimistic about scientific progress, and unafraid of hard problems. We believe that our people are our unfair advantage, and drive our mission forward. We embrace the diversity of our team for creative solutions and believe the best ideas come from the intersection of disciplines and perspectives. We want you to join us!
Via Separations’ technology is the first commercial implementation of membranes in several difficult industrial applications. With significant independence, the Senior Process Engineer will be responsible for the analysis, modeling, and design for our commercial system. You will be an integral member of the cross-disciplinary product development team and work alongside our external engineering partners to bring our commercial systems to fruition. This role has enormous growth potential as headcount increases, systems scale, and the organization continues to build scope and influence.
- Develop industrial pumping, filtration, mixing, storage, and membrane systems
- Develop, modify, and maintain project-specific process design packages (P&IDs, BOMs, specifications, models)
- Complete process analyses for the system and sub-components (including mass-balances, pump calculations, heat exchanger sizing, tank sizing, pipe sizing)
- Perform process static and dynamic analyses including sensitivity studies
- Evaluate technologies and strategies to improve performance and operability and reduce cost
- Establish factory acceptance and site acceptance procedures, including commissioning support
- Create component specifications (RFQs), select parts, and contact vendors
- Lead hazard analysis on systems (FMEA, HAZOP, etc.)
- Support root cause analyses of failure modes
- Provide training and direction to employees, co-ops, customers, and contractors
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering with 8+ years of experience
- Desired experience in complex process/piping system design for capital projects
- Desired experience in large industrial scale equipment (e.g. oil & gas, chemical processing, separation processes)
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to approach new problems with creativity
- Excellent communication and organizational skills; Able to clearly express and critique ideas
- Some travel (up to 20%) may be required
- U.S. Work authorization is required for this role.
At Via, we value and prioritize diversity of thought, access, and experiences, and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Via Separations
Something looks off?