If you’re a plant-loving people-person who’s got what it takes to build a brilliant working environment, then we want to meet you. But first, a bit about us…
We’re a full-scale, energy-saving, B-Corp certified, sustainably powered vertical farm. We’re on a mission to transform the farming system forever, so that everyone can afford tasty nutritious food, that doesn’t cost the earth. Literally.
In other words: we boldly grow where no one has grown before. Our state-of-the-art salad leaves are made possible by an incredible team of rocket scientists (see what we did there?), engineers, leaf whisperers, and a root network of fabulous people. Which brings us onto you…
The role of the Engineering Manager is to lead and develop the site engineering team to achieve targeted levels of performance, customer satisfaction, and quality standards and ensure that health, safety and environmental standards are in line with statutory requirements. Ensure a structured and systematic approach to capital procurement projects ensuring specified installation on time and within budget. To create an environment of continuous improvements, both in Engineering performance and people.
Engineering Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop and implement the relevant Engineering procedures and SOP to support the operations and food safety and quality system.
- Ensure all current and new equipment complies with relevant legislation across; quality control, food safety, allergen cross contamination and specific customer audit requirements.
- Closely monitor production downtime, and proactively drive improvements in production performance, reducing downtime, and ensuring continuous improvement measures are in place to improve this year upon year.
- Lead on the factory acceptance testing of the plant, and coordinate the engineering teams participation in the EPC Contractor’s commissioning of the facility.
- Effectively manage the engineering budget, to make sure budget targets are continually adhered to.
- Develop and implement a fault finding and maintenance strategy & schedule for the team, to ensure that all machinery and equipment on the farm is undergoing proactive maintenance on a regular basis to minimise downtime.
- Support and contribute to all customer/third party visits and audits and support relevant teams to improve audit standards.
- Work closely with the Projects team on site regarding the ongoing construction and fit out of the farm, and on any construction projects where they may need support or input from the Engineering team.
- Build, lead and develop the Engineering team, effectively managing and growing the Engineering team, providing regular one to one support, and proactively developing knowledge within the team.
- Ensure all Engineering staff are fully trained, competent, and aware of Company Health and Safety, Food Safety, Quality, Environment, Security, Hygiene policies and procedures.
- Carry out regular performance reviews, including annual appraisals and review and revise job descriptions (JDs) as appropriate.
- In conjunction with the HR department lead in recruitment of any Engineering vacancy.
- Plan any training requirements to meet individual and business needs within determined budget.
- Ensure all members of the team as well as contractors follow the Company’s hygiene and good manufacturing practices.
- Carry out regular team briefings.
- Communicate performance information and changes in policy, personnel and general information to the team.
Health and Safety and Food Safety:
- Promote a safety culture across the site working with the EHS Officer & Senior Management on safety related policies and procedures. Ensuring that all health & safety requirements are met by everyone within the team & working in production areas.
- Meet all personal and role responsibilities as required under the Company Health and Safety at work policy and proactively promote our Safety-first Culture.
- Ensure the correct use of any equipment or PPE provided.
- Carry out & promote that your team to do regular Health and Safety walks, observations and audits on the shop floor and surrounding areas and carry out any investigations required.
- Proactively manage any workplace accidents ensuring full investigations are undertaken within 1 hour of the incident taking place.